Akron Children’s Hospital is one of the largest independent pediatric hospitals in the U.S., and ranked among the best children’s hospitals by U.S. News and World Report. Our dedicated staff serves nearly 900,000 patient visits per year through our 2 hospital campuses and a large network of locations offering primary and specialty care.
We are leading the way to healthier futures for children and communities through expert medical care, research, and prevention and wellness programs. As a teaching affiliate of Northeast Ohio Medical University and other universities, we train new generations of pediatricians, specialists, nurses and pharmacists every year.
- To treat every child as we would our own
- To treat others as they would like to be treated
- To turn no child away for any reason
We are seeking people who are committed to fostering a diverse environment in which patients, family and staff from a variety of backgrounds, cultures, and personal experiences are welcomed, included and can thrive.
Barber Community Learning Center
Special Needs Classroom
Monday through Friday (while school is in session)
8:30am – 2:30pm
The School Medical Assistant provides school health services as directed by the School Health Services, Clinical Coordinator (Registered Nurse) to the student population serviced.
1. Provides school health services as directed by the Registered Nurse and contracts.
2. Provides the clinical care necessary within the department, including routine, special needs and emergency first aid. Maintains appropriate student health records and documents services rendered.
3. Communicates with parents/guardians, school authorities, and allied professionals.
4. Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care for the physical, psychological, social, educational, and safety needs of the patients served regardless of age.
5. Other duties as required.
1. Experience in school setting is preferred.
2. Experience in healthcare is preferred.
3. Proficiency in MS Office [Outlook, Excel, Word] or similar software is required.
Education and Experience
1. Education: Must be a graduate of an accredited school of Medical Assisting or equivalent education/ training/experience.
2. Certification: Heartsaver AED and BLS certification is required. Medical Assistant certification is preferred.
3. Years of relevant experience: No experience necessary, new graduates welcomed. 0 to 2 years is preferred.
4. Years of experience supervising: None.