Full Job Description
- Performs blood collection procedures and related tasks.
- Verifies order requests and identifying information prior to drawing blood or collecting the specimen/kit to be tested by analytical staff.
- Labels all specimens collected and delivers them to the appropriate processing area.
- Follows venipuncture procedures and maintains appropriate log sheets.
- Greets patients warmly and professionally at check in or when they present to outpatient lab desks or when entering a patient’s room and completes test request entry and specimen receipt using lab computer.
- Performs specimen processing and sends out tasks including accessioning, centrifugation and packaging for transport when necessary for all specimen types.
- Communicates essential information to appropriate personnel.
- Actively promotes effective communication flow both within and outside of the department.
- Picks up and delivers blood, other sample types, and lab supplies to appropriate areas.
- Provides a positive customer service rapport and interacts in a pleasant, courteous and cordial manner with co-workers and patients at all times.
- Participates in team discussions, provide problem solving ideas and contribute to quality improvement goals.
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Formal phlebotomy certification preferred.
Complexity of Work:
- Trouble shooting and problem solving skills in a team environment is essential.
- Effectively operate in a flexible work environment.
- Demonstrate the ability to work under minimal supervision.
- Must be able to excel in a high-volume, fast-paced work environment.
- Technical proficiency; standard procedures, techniques and common practices required.
- Requires frequent and long durations of standing and walking.
- Visual acuity including the ability to distinguish colors.
- Manual dexterity sufficient to manipulate blood drawing equipment and make measurements.
Personal Protective Equipment:
- Follows standard precautions using personal protective equipment as required.